Saturday, March 12, 2011

Polenta Lasagna

This is one of my "go-to recipes".  One of the "old fall backs".  One of the ones I always try to have everything on hand for, in case I need to whip up a quick and easy dinner.  As a bonus, this is recipe is Gluten Free and easily Vegetarian.

Polenta Lasagna
Ingredients:
1 package polenta, sliced
1 jar spaghetti sauce
4 cups (?) mozzarella cheese
veggies!  [whatever is in your pantry and fridge!] tonight I used about a handful of each:
purple onion, chunked
broccoli, chunked
carrots, chopped
olives, halved
mushrooms, sliced
*sausage [I've cooked it on stovetop before hand OR I just slice precooked chicken sausage links]

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Chop all veggies.  Slice polenta.
3. Layer in baking dish: polenta, spread a layer of spaghetti sauce on top of the polenta, a smattering of veggies (and sausage, if you choose), half of the cheese.  Repeat!
4. Bake covered, for 45-50 minutes.  Remove covering last 10-15 minutes.  Let stand for 5-10min before serving.







Notes:
*Obviously don't include the sausage if you intend to make it vegetarian.
*Because of the water in the fresh veggies, there will be liquid in the bottom of the pan.  Use slotted spoon to serve.
*Other vegetables that turn out well are squash, zucchini, peppers and spinach.
*Polenta can be hard to track down.  I have found it at Trader Joe's and ethnic sections of the grocery store.
*Serve with warm bread dipped in olive oil and black pepper.

Step 3: Layering.

Step 3: Starting the 2nd layer with sliced polenta.

1 comment:

Casey Dawn said...

Looks good, Brooke! Casey Chambers here...Hey, I have a very random important question to ask you and am not on facebook during lent, so this is the only way I know of to contact you. Can you email me please at kccasey50@gmail.com just to let me have your email address, then I'll send you my question? I'd really appreciate it, Brooke! Thanks!
Casey