Thursday, May 19, 2011

Taco Soup

It has been rainy and cold (60+ degrees--everything is relative) the past three days and I was in a hot soup mood.  I rummaged my "pantry" (which is really the top of my fridge), threw this together and was quite impressed with the taste.  Yum!  There are two packaged seasonings in the soup and I am apologizing/embarressed that they are in this recipe.. I usually cook a bit more "whole foods" style.  But alas, I'm pregnant.  (My new excuse for everything).

Taco Soup
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
2 cans green chilis (with juice)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 package taco seasoning
1 package Ranch dressing mix (about 7 tbs of mix)
2 1/2 cps beef broth (or water if you want)
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 can chili beans
2 cans pinto beans, drained
1 can red beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Saute turkey and onion until cooked through. Add peppers and chilis, saute 2-3 minutes.  Stir in garlic, taco & ranch seasonings. 
2. Add beef broth (or water), stir in all beans and tomatoes.  **I kept adding beans and tomatoes til my pot was full--feel free to do the same)
3. Salt and pepper to taste.  **IF you used beef broth, I found that my seasonings were masked, so I added more cumin, paprika, garlic, onion powder and chili powder... and a few more scoops of Ranch **  Taste frequently!
4. Bring to boil, then let simmer 30 minutes.
5. Serve with shredded mexican cheese, sour cream, green onions, and tortilla chips. 

EASY AND DELISH!  Two of my favorite words.

No comments: