Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Few New Things for 2013

A few new things around here:

1. New eats.  Jarod and I have committed to 60 days of the Paleo Diet!  WHOA.  We are on Day 8 and really enjoying it (and I say that honestly-- I threw quite a fit before we started this endeavor, but I gave in and am now loving eating this way).
For those of you not familiar with the Paleo Diet, think caveman and hunter/gatherer.  It is basically eating anything you could hunt or pick or gather... all pre-agriculture era.  So, in other words, we are eating only veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and meat.  This also means we are NOT eating sugar, gluten, legumes (even peanuts!) or dairy.  At this point, we are eating 85% Paleo and the other 15% of the time accounts for the occasional coffee and milk or honey in my tea. Let's be serious.  I could give up a lot of things, but not my coffee!

2. New health.  I have also started back to working out on a daily basis.  It's been a LONG time coming :)  And I have to get pretty creative with workouts, etc. due to snow and freezing temps.  It's not like I can just jump out for a quick jog around the block here.  (These are the times when I definitely miss Southern California and being able to be outside year round).   But between the climbing wall in the basement, workout DVDs and Jarod's coaching.. I get something in everyday.  I had been having trouble sleeping at night and was just feeling lethargic all in all.  This, in combination with the eating changes, has really improved my overall demeanor and energy levels so far.

3. New do.  Among other new things, I chopped off my hair.


4. New read.  I started a new book, A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans and am discussing it with a group of women.
I am only about a third of the way through, but she is challenging my thinking!  I am not sure that I can say I wholeheartedly agree with all that she writes, but it is sparking some great conversation.

Cheers to the new!

No comments: