Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Spicy Potato Sausage Soup

My New Year's Resolutions list is very long.  And I am excited about every single item on that long list.  As I have inspected my list over the past few days, I realized that I am adding lots to my life.  So, in order to be successful with my resolutions, something has to give - meaning I am giving up and taking out of my life a few things, in order to make room for the new.

The first thing to go: BAKING.  Sad?  Yes.  Necessary?  Absolutely.  I weighed the pros and cons of my baking love, and the bake shop came up lacking.  So, it's outta here.  As fun and relaxing as baking is for me, it left my kitchen in a heap of a mess and too many extra calories hovering on my counter tops. 

So as a fair compromise, I am taking on COOKING.  Isn't that nearly the same thing?  Not at all.  Cooking is a whole different world.  Cooking with whole foods is nutritious and challenging.  I had been slacking off in the dinner department.  But no more.  We must have dinner and there is no MUST for dessert and other baked items. 

So, yesterday, I scoped the pantry and the fridge and assembled this recipe for a cold, rainy day soup.

Spicy Potato Sausage Soup

Ingredients:
8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped in 1/2 in. pieces
2 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, whole
12 oz sausage, medium spice
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
5 cups milk
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups white corn
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbs chicken soup base
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:
1. Place potatoes, carrots, celery and all garlic in large pot.  Cover with water.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 15-18 minutes.  Drain carefully (not letting chopped garlic escape!)  Place about 3-4 cups in separate bowl and mash with fork.  Place remaining cooked veggies in another bowl.
2. While veggies are simmering, cook sausage and onion together in frying pan, until sausage is no longer pink and onions have browned.  Set aside.
3. In original large pot, melt butter.  Add flour and stir together well.  Slowly add milk and water.  Bring to boil.  Boil 2 minutes.  Whisk in soup base and dissolve while boiling.  Add spices.  Whisk in mashed veggies.  Stir in onion & sausage mixture and corn.  Slowly add remaining cooked vegetables.  Heat thoroughly.  Serve with hearty bread.

2 comments:

Tiffany Stevens said...

So I will miss all your dessert recipes but look forward to your dinner recipes!!!!

Kiley Kemp said...

Go Brooke! That is a great New Years Resolution. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog to get new ideas... I need them!